The Knox Story-What's In A Name?
Knox Capital’s name originates from the legacy of General Henry Knox. In the book 1776, David McCullough notes: “Knox was a man with enterprising ideas and the staying power to carry them through.”
Henry Knox was the tenacious Chief of Artillery for General George Washington during the Revolutionary War and was later named the first U.S. Secretary of War. He was a key advisor to General Washington during the Revolutionary War and the two remained life-long friends.
Knox is perhaps best known for transporting 59 artillery pieces/cannons from the captured Fort Ticonderoga in New York to General Washington’s forces laying siege on the British army that had occupied Boston. A 25-year-old Bostonian bookseller at the time, Knox was a voracious reader of military strategy and proven patriot when he was personally tasked by Washington to retrieve the cannons.
Knox successfully organized and led the transport of the cannons starting in the dead of winter on December 5, 1775. It took him 56 days over 300 miles to accomplish this monumental task using ferries over Lake Champlain and Lake George, then commissioning ox-drawn snow sleds to pull the heavy cannons over ice and snow the rest of the way.
When the artillery was finally delivered to Washington’s troops in Dorchester Heights overlooking the city and Boston Harbor, it was the last straw for Lord Henry Howe. He knew that if he and his troops did not immediately evacuate the city, that cannons would bombard them. On March 18, revolutionaries marched into the deserted city. This was a key victory for the troops and helped re-energize the fight for freedom.
The following December, General Knox also planned and convinced George Washington to cross the Delaware River on Christmas Eve 1776. The surprise Christmas Day attack on the British forces in Trenton, New Jersey led to a major victory that helped change the tide of the war.
As recognition of General Knox’s courage, innovation and tenacity in the face of grueling campaigns and obstacles, two military forts and a U.S. Mint vault were subsequently named after him. Construction on Fort Knox in Maine began in 1844 and it served at the country’s center for artillery. Fort Knox in Kentucky was established in 1918 and is still a major hub for the Army. In 1936, the government constructed a fortified vault and building on the grounds of Fort Knox in Kentucky that became a United States Bullion Depository and later an official part of the United States Mint. Because of its location, this impenetrable building is also referred to as Fort Knox.
To this day, the Knox name is synonymous with strength, security, innovation, courage, hard work and integrity—all characteristics we aspire to at Knox Capital Group.